As seen in the February 2019 edition of the
Chosun Taekwondo Academy Newsletter
Teriyaki Salmon with Gim
Every Tuesday night is Teriyaki salmon and sticky rice at our house. This is one of Eleanor’s favorite dinners of the week. It is such a quick meal to prepare after coming home from the five o clock Youth Training class. I do admit to get this meal out in a timely fashion I’ve been known to cook in my Dobok! Another time saver is my Zojirushi Rice Cooker. Right before heading down to the Dojang I add some sushi rice and a small handful of forbidden black rice to the cooker. Press the button and forget about it! Rice is done! Adding a bit of the black rice turns the sushi rice a light purple that looks so cool.
Along with the lovely soy glazed salmon and rice you must serve this with Gim. This is what puts this meal over the top. Gim is roasted nori that is seasoned with sesame oil and sea salt. You can buy it in large sheets or in small bite size squares. GimMe is the one I buy. It’s organic and is made in Korea. It comes in fun flavors to, Teriyaki, Wasabi and Sesame.
So the way to eat your Salmon is to fill a piece of Gim with a dab of rice and a flake of salmon and pop it in your mouth. A Umami explosion will occur, so be ready!
Here’s the recipe.
1 ½ lbs Salmon filet (skinned) cut into 2-3 portions
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup mirin
1/3 cup water or sake
1 Tbs sugar
Chopped scallion and toasted sesame seeds for garnish.
Steam up a pot of Sushi Rice
1. Mix together the soy, mirin ,water and sugar.
2. Skin and portion the salmon filet or have the guys at the Bellevale Market do it for you.
3. Chop scallions for garnish
4. Coat a non stick pan with a tablespoon of a neutral oil over medium high heat.
5. Place salmon in pan top side down and sauté till golden 4-5 minutes and turn over.
6. Now carefully pour the teriyaki sauce over the salmon and lower heat to medium.
7. Spoon the sauce over the salmon as it cooks until you have a syrupy teriyaki glaze coating the salmon. Remove from heat.
8. Serve over the sticky rice and garnish with scallions and sesame seeds. Cut open your pack of Gim and enjoy!
Subscribe at: www.chosuntkd.com